Happy Daylight Savings Eve! I am super excited to get that extra hour of daylight back because it is always nice not having the sun go down at 5:30. As far as I am concerned, more sun equals higher morale.
Anyway. Today I’d thought I’d talk about my everyday eye makeup which is pretty simple.
For an everyday look, I’ve been in love with L’Oréal Studio Secrets Professional Eye Shadow Quads in Desert Sunrise, and have used this palate off an on for almost a year now. It’s meant for people with blue eyes, and I love the way that it makes my eyes pop.
It’s designed with four different shades, which combined are supposed to give you a complete eye look. I only really use the pink (top right in the picture below) and the light brown (bottom left). Sometimes, I use the highlighter if I want a little extra kick (top right), but I never really use the lash line color (bottom right).
I used these palates all the time when I first started using eye shadow. The best thing about these kinds of palates is that the shades are usually numbered and the numbers correspond with a little diagram of where to apply each shade on the back of the package. It’s pretty convenient when you are just starting out.
However, warning to any newbies, please do not listen to the diagram when it tells you to apply the base (neutral) shade from your upper lash line to your brow bone. Just don’t.
The first time I used a palate like this (as a young eyeshadow newb), I applied it all over my eye, like the diagram told me, and it looked like a glittery mess. Trust me, just keep the base color on your eyelid. In fact, you really shouldn’t be getting much higher then your crease with any everyday look.
So, in order to get an everyday look:
1. I start off with the light brown and using a thicker eye shadow brush. I apply it to my crease and the outer corner of my eyelid.
2. I take an eye shadow applicator and apply the pink to my eyelid.
3. I apply white eyeliner (not pictured) on my lower water line and to the inner corners of my eyes. When applying the white to the corners, make sure to apply a little bit to your upper lash line as well.
4. I apply a little bit of highlighter to the inner corners of my eyes, making extra sure to blend this in with my finger or a brush. I usually use highlighter if I want an extra pop (or if I look especially tired that day ;)
5. I take black liquid eyeliner, I used NYC Liquid Eyeliner in black, and apply to my upper lash line and do a little bit of a wing out once I get to the outer corner.
You can buy all of these products at any drugstore in the United States (and I know they have coupons for them in the paper every once in awhile, so keep an eye out).
Remember, don’t let the loss of an hours sleep get you down because spring is on it’s way!
What everyday products do you use? Do you wear eye shadow regularly? What’s your favorite brand of eye shadow or favorite palate?