I don’t know anything about dark eye shadow. In the past, I’ve tried dark shadows and failed miserably (meaning having to frantically wash off the botched makeup before I go out). There is something inherently intimidating about dark eye makeup to me. Maybe it’s the fear of raccoon eyes or maybe it’s just my tendency to lean towards natural colors when it comes to most makeup. Or maybe it’s just the realization that when dark eye makeup goes wrong…it is usually really bad.
However, a while back I came across this pin on Pinterest, and last week, I figured it was time to face my fear of dark eye shadow. I was nervous dipping into the untouched dark shades of my palettes, but I ended up liking the end result. I will admit though, I was a little self-conscious how the darker shadows drew so much attention to myself. Dark shadow is like BAM – here I am. Maybe that’s why smokey eyes are usually more suited for nightlife than a Saturday trip to Walmart.
1. Prime your lids. You’re going to be applying quite a good amount of eye makeup and, you don’t want it sliding everywhere.
2. Apply under eye concealer in a downward triangle shape.
3. Apply a brown shadow or eyeliner to your upper and lower lash line. You want to get as close to your lash line as possible, but you shouldn’t be lining the waterline just yet.
4. Line your lower lash line with a brownish-black or black shadow and wing it out towards the outer edge of your eye.
5. Apply a light brown shadow to your entire lid and crease. Blend out.
6. Apply the same dark shadow you used for your lower lash line in step 4 to the outer third of your lid and part of your upper lash line. Make sure to blend to fill out the winged shape from step 4.
8. Apply a light golden shadow to the inner corner of your eyes as a highlighter and, finish by curling and coating your lashes with mascara.
It’s definitely more dramatic than I am used to, but I think I would use this look again for a special occasion. For the time being though, I am going to cling to my lighter neutrals – my makeup security blanket.
Oh yeah. I am doing that whole, “Sam’s moving to England” thing in five days. Gulp.
Do you favor darker or lighter eye shadow looks?